The key objectives of the Centre have been and remain:
- To act as a UK-wide focus and resource for innovative multi-disciplinary research on the inter-relationships between the supply of, demand for, and usage of skill at a variety of levels and within a range of organisational and product and labour market settings.
- To further understanding of how, why and in combination with what other factors, skills enhance performance (broadly defined).
- To develop the capability of the research community to advance methodological development, data gathering and analysis and theory building in order to probe these issues.
- To inform debate and assist the formation of public policy on skill.
- To support practitioner and policy user communities to develop their capacity to commission and utilise research on skill to maximise effect.